About Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board
Out of all Hindu deities, Lord Shiva is extremely popular not only amongst Indians but also amongst the people of other nationalities. To get closer to their revered God, who appears on this earth in the unique form of an Ice Lingam, millions of devotees trek through the daunting mountains to Shri Amarnathji Shrine in South Kashmir every year in the summer months to pay obeisance. The Shrine is managed by Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB), that was constituted by an Act of the Jammu & Kashmir State Legislature in 2000 with His Excellency the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir as its ex-officio Chairman. The Amarnathji Shrine Board is responsible for the better management of the Shri Amarnathji Yatra, upgradation of facilities for holy pilgrims and matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. Assisted by a Chief Executive Officer who is a senior IAS officer and eight distinguished Board Members, the board is constantly working towards making this journey the most cherished one.
Role of the Board:The following roles and responsibilities have been assigned to Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) as per section 16 of the Act:
- To arrange for the proper performance of worship at the Holy Shrine.
- To make arrangements for the safe custody of the funds, valuable and jewelry and for the preservation of the Board Fund.
- To undertake developmental activities concerning the areas of the shrine and its surroundings.
- To make provision for the payment of suitable emoluments to the salaried staff.
- To make suitable arrangements for the imparting of religious instruction and general education to the pilgrims.
- To undertake for the benefit of worshippers and pilgrims:
- The construction of buildings for their accommodation
- The construction of sanitary works; and
- The improvement of means of communication
- To make provision of medical relief for worshippers and pilgrims
- To do all such things as may be incidental and conducive to the efficient management, maintenance and administration of the Holy Shrine and the Board Funds and for the convenience of the pilgrims.
Composition of Shri AmarnathJi Shrine Board
|1||Shri Satya Pal Malik,
His Excellency the Governor, J&K
|2||Sri Sri Ravi Shankar,
21 KM Kanakapura Road, Bangalore SouthTaluk, Karnatka-560 062
|Spiritual leader and founder of the Art of Living Foundation, established in 1981. Recipient of “Padma Vibhushan”.|
|3||Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan
Life Trustee & Chairperson, IIC-Asia Project,
40-Max Muller Marg, New Delhi-110003
|A former member of the Rajya Sabha, she has served as Secretary to Government of India, Ministry of Education, Department of Arts and Culture. She is a scholar of Indian classical dance, Indian art, architecture and art history. She has been conferred the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship and Lalit Kala Akademi Fellowship, the highest awards conferred by Sangeet Natak Akademi and Lalit Kala Akademi respectively. She received the Padma Vibushan in 2011.|
|4||Shri Vijay Dhar,
178, Golf Links, New Delhi-110003
|An eminent educationist, he set up D.P. Dhar Memorial Trust and Delhi Public School, Srinagar.|
|5||Dr. Ved Kumari Ghai,
15/2, Trikuta Nagar, Jammu
|A Padma Shri and renowned Sanskrit Scholar. Former Head of Department (Sanskrit), Jammu University.|
|6||Pt. Bhajan Sopori,
Lodhi Colony, New Delhi-110003
|A renowned music maestro, bearer of the fabled “Sufiana Gharana” of Kashmir and Santoor Legend and Music Composer. He has received many awards, including Padma Shri, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award and J&K State Lifetime Achievement Award.|
|7||Ms. Sunita Narain,
Member, SASB, Centre for Science and Environment, 41-Tughlakbad Industrial Area,
|Presently Director General, Centre for Science and Environment. She has received a number of prestigious awards for her contribution in the field of environment including the Padma Shri.|
|8||Shri D. C . Raina
|Senior Advocate and former Advocate General of Jammu and Kashmir.|
|9||Dr. Chander Mouli Raina,
|An Associate Professor, Department of Astrology Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, Deemed University, Kot Bhalwal, Jammu.|
|10||Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
|An eminent Cardiac Surgeon, Chairman and Founder of Narayana Health which comprises a chain of over two dozen hospitals. Recipient of many awards including Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.|
Officers of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board
|1||Shri Umang Narula, IAS||CEO|
|2||Shri Bhupinder Kumar, IAS||Addl. CEO|
|3||Shri Vikas Verma, KAS||Dy. CEO|
|4||Shri Parshotam Kumar Sharma||Dy. CEO|
|5||Shri Verinder Slathia||Dy. CEO|